Lordie, God's Message For You Today, January 9, 2011

Daily Bible Reflections
for January 9, 2011

Dear Lordie,

Thank God for your loved ones this Sunday.

Praying for you,

Bo Sanchez


9
January
Sunday
TODAY'S READINGS:

DIDACHE | COMPANION | SABBATH
DIDACHE

 

Feast of the Baptism of the Lord
 
A NE W SENSE OF HUMOR
 
“A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out.” – Isaiah 42:3
 
Days after Typhoon Ondoy flooded our home, I was physically and emotionally worn out from all that happened. I was also nervous about the coming Typhoon Pepeng, which would hit the country in a few days.
I was looking forward to a somewhat restful night despite all the stress, but the first thing that greeted me when I got to the condo where we were temporarily staying was water. Flood. Again.
It turned out that the freezer was left to defrost while we were gone and the water had overflowed. Not a big thing, right? But I found myself bawling on my knees that night as I mopped the floor. All I could think of then was, “Lord, I can’t take it anymore. Please don’t strike me while I’m down.”
Whenever I look back to that day now, I laugh because I must have looked really silly. The despair I felt then was real and I thought I wouldn’t be able to recover. But I did. True to what Isaiah said, God will not crush a bruised reed, and He gives enough strength to move forward from all calamities in life. Tina Matanguihan (tina.matanguihan@gmail.com)
 
REFLECTION:
“God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)
 
Remind me, Lord, of Your love whenever I feel despair.
 
 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

COMPANION

 

1st READING
Isaiah tells us that the Suffering Servant, for us the Messiah, Jesus, will bring true justice. Justice is a word that is often used today very cheaply. If we want to know what true justice is, we need to look carefully at the life of Jesus and see how He lives a life of reconciliation. He gave His life in place of ours so that we can be given another chance. Justice without mercy is cheap justice. It is only when justice is ministered with love that we will create a better world.
 
Isaiah 42:1-4, 6-7
1 Thus says the LORD: Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, upon whom I have put my spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, 2 not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street. 3 A bruised reed he shall not break, and a smoldering wick he shall not quench, 4 until he establishes justice on the earth; the coastlands will wait for his teaching. 6 I, the LORD, have called you for the victory of justice, I have grasped you by the hand; I formed you, and set you as a covenant of the people, a light for the nations, 7 to open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness.
 
P S A L M
 
Psalm 29:1-2, 3-4, 3, 9-10
R: The Lord will bless his people with peace.
1 Give to the LORD, you sons of God, give to the LORD glory and praise, 2 give to the LORD the glory due his name; adore the LORD in holy attire. (R) 3 The voice of the LORD is over the waters, the LORD, over vast waters. 4 The voice of the LORD is mighty; the voice of the LORD is majestic. (R) The God of glory thunders, 9 and in his temple all say, “Glory!” 10 The LORD is enthroned above the flood; the LORD is enthroned as king forever. (R)
 
2nd READING
 
Even the Gentiles are entitled to the gift of salvation through Baptism. It is important to Luke that Peter lead the way in this for Paul as it will legitimize Paul’s mission to the Gentiles. Cornelius and his household receive the Holy Spirit with power. Let us pray that the grace of baptism we received will also be released with power.
 
Acts 10:34-38
34 Peter proceeded to speak to those gathered in the house of Cornelius, saying: “In truth, I see that God shows no partiality. 35 Rather, in every nation whoever fears him and acts uprightly is acceptable to him. 36 You know the word that he sent to the Israelites as he proclaimed peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all, 37 what has happened all over Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached, 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power. He went about doing good and healing all those oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.”
 
G O S P E L
 
Jesus’ baptism in the Jordan becomes a prototype for baptism not just in the Scriptures but in the experience of the Early Church. When men and women were baptized, they were changed and empowered by the Holy Spirit. This was the normative experience for the Early Church. Why does it not seem to be the same for us today? Let us reflect on this question and ask God to reveal to us more  fully the grace and power of the Sacrament of Baptism.
 
ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia
The heavens were opened and the voice of the Father thundered: This is my beloved Son, listen to him.
R: Alleluia
 
Matthew 3:13-17
13 Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. 14 John tried to prevent him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?” 15 Jesus said to him in reply, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed him. 16 After Jesus was baptized, he came up from the water and behold, the heavens  were opened for him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming upon him. 17 And a voice came from the heavens, saying, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
 
my reflections
t h i n k : Let us pray that the grace of baptism we received will also be released with power.
 
God’s special verse/thought for me today________________
_________________________________________________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST
Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________
 
_______________________________________________________
 
READ THE BIBLE IN Genesis 25-27
 
SABBATH PAUSE
My weekly time with God
THANK YOU LIST
Things to be grateful for from the past week
________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________
SPECIAL NEEDS
Things to ask God for in the coming week
________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________
HIDDEN TREASURE
Most important word God told me this week
________________________________________________________________
 
________________________________________________________________
 
                     ______________________________________________________________
 
 
 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

SABBATH

 

DECLARING OUR IDENTITY
 
A new acquaintance fetched me one morning for midday Mass at the office where he works. Inside the car was a picture of a family clipped on his front mirror. “Is that your family?” I inquired. “Yes, Father,” he responded. Then he added, “That picture has a history.” Before I even managed to ask what, he went on to narrate, “One night after a long day, I went to a bar to unwind. A beautiful woman caught my attention. I looked at her. She looked at me. And that was it. She handed me a card with her number. I reached for my wallet to get my card and I saw my family picture. Right then and there I realized what I was doing and I left. From then on, this picture is always before me on this front mirror.” How cheesy, I said to myself.
Kidding aside, will it make it less difficult to commit wrongdoing when we always have before us our identity, who we are and whose we are? With that picture, that man reminds himself daily, “I am a husband, I am a father, I am my family’s.”
Today is the feast of the Lord’s baptism.
At the beginning of His mission, Jesus’ identity is established, “This is my beloved Son. My favor rests on him” (Matthew 3:17). His Sonship was always before Jesus. It is the mission that consumes Him. Jesus would declare, “My food is to do the will of my Father” (John 4:34). At our baptism, we were similarly vested with that undeserved identity as children of God. At the pouring of the water in the name of the Trinitarian God, He claimed us as His own.
As a priest, I do not always go around dressed in my Mass vestments. But I always wear a ring with a miniature crucifix on it. I wear a little cross either on my collar or on my chest pocket. I make sure that I have something that will always set before me my identity as a priest of God. I have always followed a simple rule of life. Whenever I feel the need to “conceal” in whatever way or form who I am, that’s an indication that I am treading dangerous paths. Fr. Joel O. Jason
 
Reflection Question:
Have you ever felt the need to conceal who you are, or whose you are? What do you do to always remind your heart of your commitments to God and to your loved ones?
 
Father, in gratitude I recognize Your Fatherhood over me and in commitment I renew my childhood before You. Amen.
 
St. Marciana, pray for us.
 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

 

Do You Want Your Friend To Receive This Email?
Friend's Email:

 

1.  The FEAST is the one of the happiest places on earth.

Find one near you!

PICC

Sunday (2 sessions)

8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.

10:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.

PICC, Roxas Blvd.

Feast Builder: Bo Sanchez

 

Pasig

Sunday (2 sessions)

10:00 a.m. - 12 noon

1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Valle Verde Country Club (beside The ULTRA)

Feast Builders: George Gabriel and Obet Cabrillas 

 

Quezon City

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 12 n.n.

Convention Hall, Bureau of Soils, Visayas Ave., Q.C.

Feast Builder: Eng Si

 

Alabang 

Sunday (3 sessions)

11:00 a.m - 1:00 p.m. 

1:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. 

4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.     

2/L X-site Entrance, Festival Mall, Alabang 

Tel. No. 659-8299                      
Feast Builder: Arun Gogna

Laguna

9:00 a.m. - 12 n.n.

SM Sta. Rosa, Laguna

Feast Builders: Hermie Morelos & Jon Escoto

 

Rizal

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Valley Fair Arcade, Ortigas Ext. Taytay, Rizal

Feast Builder: Pio Espanol         

Bustos

Sunday 2:30 p.m - 5:30 p.m.

San isidro labrador Parish, Liciada, Bustos

Feast Builder:  Chito Manaois

 

Valenzuela

Sunday 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Cinema 1, SM Valenzuela

Feast Builder: Eng Si

Contact no. 09175789554

 

Ortigas

Monday 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Roofdeck, Prestige Tower,

F. Ortigas Ave., Pasig City           
Feast Builder: Vic Espanol

 

Makati

Thursday, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

AIM Conference Center, Benavidez cor Paseo de Roxas

Feast Builder: Randy Borromeo

 

Manila

Friday, 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Cinema 4, SM Manila (near City Hall), Manila        

Feast Builder: Obet Cabrillas

 

Angeles

1st & 3rd Friday, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.

Angeles City Library, Angeles City                             

Feast Builder: Marvin Tan

 

Marilao (2 sessions)

Saturday, 5:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

                7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

Cinema 2, SM Marilao, Bulacan Feast Builder: Alvin Barcelona 

 

Baliuag

Saturday 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Cinema 1, Baliuag, Bulacan

Feast Builder: Chito Manaois

Contact no. 09174358746/09228190198

 

Cardona

Saturday 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Queen Mary Help of Christians Hospital, National Road, Calahan, Cardona

 

CEBU

1st & 3rd Sunday of each month

9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

University of San Carlos North Campus, Mango Ave., Cebu City

Feast Builder: Oscar Alino

Contact nos. 4128142/09212413801/09232908009

 

DAVAO 

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

Labrecque Hall, San Pedro College, C. de Guzman St.,Davao City

Feast Builder: Jing Sto. Domingo

Contact nos. 0822865081/0922251822

 2. Wake up to the new KERYGMA TV! on TV5!

On a new time slot - Sundays 6-7 a.m.

PLUS...

MUSTARD (for kids) Saturdays 6-7 a.m

FISHBOWL (for the youth) Saturdays 7-8 a.m.

3. Need Counseling? 

Call a friend for counseling at  09228407031, 7266728, 7264709, and 7259999 Mon-Fri 24-hrs, Sat 6am-5pm, Sun 6am-10am.

 4. Free Kerygma Magazine (the one on paper) from Bo.

If you're a KerygmaFamily member who regularly supports this ministry with at least P300 or US$20 a month - you'll be receiving a one-year subscription of the KerygmaMagazine in the mail-automatically!

If you haven't signed up for KerygmaFamily, join now!

http://www.kerygmafamily.com

5. Its now easy to DONATE using the new GlobeTelecom GCASH at http://kerygmafamily.com.

6. DONATE using SMART MONEY - type KFAM_amount and send to 270

7. Put Preacher in Blue Jeans in your Blog or Friendster! Just copy the text in under next to the EMBED keyword under the video. Just like YOUTUBE!

8. Did you receive this email from someone else? To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.

9. To change your KerygmaFamily member/email settings. Please click here

10. To enter the Audio & Video Teachings, Please click here

11. Forward these to your friends - so they too can read God's Word and be invited to join the KerygmaFamily. They'll Thank you for opening this mountain of blessings to them!

12. Contact Person: Tina   (+632) 9312711 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (+632) 9312711      end_of_the_skype_highlighting    or   + 639178424101 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              + 639178424101      end_of_the_skype_highlighting    or support@kerygmafamily.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No response to “Lordie, God's Message For You Today, January 9, 2011”

Post a Comment