Lordie, God's Message For You Today, October 21, 2011

Daily Bible Reflections
for October 21, 2011

Dear Lordie,

May others see Jesus in you this Friday.

Praying for you,

Bo Sanchez

PS. Do you live in the Philippines? Sign up for Bo's weekly  cellphone message. This is FREE. (That is why you have to live in the Philippines to sign up for this service.)

Text:   BOSEZ_<your full name>_ <your email address> and send to any of the following numbers: Globe (09178494444); Smart (09088949999); Sun (09228945555)

And you'll start receiving Bo's inspiring message to encourage you, guide you, and bless your week.

 

21
October
Friday
TODAY'S READINGS:

DIDACHE | COMPANION | SABBATH
DIDACHE

INNER CONFLICTS
 

For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do — this I keep on doing. – Romans 7:19

 

One time in fourth grade, I came home and complained to my mom that I had a sick feeling in my tummy. But I couldn’t explain what was bothering me. All I could remember was that some kids had laughed at a boy who had tripped in the hallway and scattered his books all over the floor. With his face red with embarrassment, I watched as he fought back tears and gathered his things before scurrying away from the crowd.

After my story, my mom told me she knew why I wasn’t feeling well. “Guilt. You didn’t laugh at him but you didn’t want to be different from everybody else. So you didn’t reach out to help him either. When we know the right thing to do, we tend to regret not doing it.”

The Lord gave us great power through His Word and prayer to rise above the sinful nature of man. He has already provided the laws that separate right from wrong and it is in our true best interest to follow them. As Jiminy Cricket once said, “Let your conscience be your guide.” Eleanore Lee (elyo.lee@ gmail.com)


REFLECTION:

When faced with tough decisions wherein the right thing to do is not necessarily the same as what you want to do, ask, “What would Jesus do?”

 

“Lord, continue to shield me with Your love as I wage a constant battle between good and evil within myself and, as together we stand, righteousness will prevail.”

 
 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

COMPANION

1st READING
 

St. Paul had a very realistic and honest view of his weaknesses. He did not live with the illusion of his own goodness but saw his true poverty of spirit and total need for God’s mercy in his life. Most of us think we are basically good. It is only when the Spirit reveals to us the true depths of evil in our hearts and how far we are from the perfection and purity of God that we can see our true need for God’s grace.

 

Romans 7:18-25

18 Brothers and sisters: I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh. The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. 22 For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, 23 but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind, taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Miserable one that I am! Who will deliver me from this mortal body? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

 
P S A L M
 

Psalms 119:66, 68, 76, 77, 93, 94

R: Lord, teach me your statutes.

66 Teach me wisdom and knowledge, for in your commands I trust. (R) 68 You are good and bountiful; teach me your statutes. (R) 76 Let your kindness comfort me according to your promise to your servants. (R) 77 Let your compassion come to me that I may live, for your law is my delight. (R) 93 Never will I forget your precepts, for through them you give me life. (R) 94 I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts. (R)

 
G O S P E L
 

Jesus points out to the crowds their spiritual blindness. If only they were as adept at seeing the true spiritual signs of God’s Kingdom as they were in predicting the coming weather, they would have not missed out on the wonderful graces and blessings that God wished to bestow on them. Let us seek to have hearts that are sensitive to the movement of God’s Spirit so that we won’t miss out on all that God wants to give us.

 
ALLELUIA
R: Alleluia, alleluia

Blessed are you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth; you have revealed to little ones the mysteries of the Kingdom.

R: Alleluia, alleluia

Luke 12:54-59

54 Jesus said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west you say immediately that it is going to rain — and so it does; 55 and when you notice that the wind is blowing from the south you say that it is going to be hot — and so it is. 56 You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky; why do you not know how to interpret the present time? 57 Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right? 58 If you are to go with your opponent before a magistrate, make an effort to settle the matter on the way; otherwise your opponent will turn you over to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the constable, and the constable throw you into prison. 59 I say to you, you will not be released until you have paid the last penny.”

 
my reflections

t h i n k : It is only when the Spirit reveals to us the true depths of evil in our hearts, and how far we are from the perfection and purity of God, that we can see our true need for God’s grace.

 
God’s special verse/thought for me today________________

_________________________________________________________

T O D A Y ’ S BLESSING LIST

Thank You Lord for: ____________________________________

 
_______________________________________________________
 

READ THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR Habakkuk 1-3

 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

SABBATH

Our Soul — a Battlefield
 

When I read today’s first reading, I decided to write my reflection not about today’s Gospel but to invite the reader to have a look at St. Paul. We all know Paul. Many are afraid of him because of his strong personality, his strictness and uncompromising demands. But when you read today’s excerpt from his Letter to the Romans, you surely can identify with him. Here he bares his very soul and admits his weakness: He wants to do what is good but discovers that he does the opposite. “What a wretched man I am!” he exclaims. And who among us does not feel the same? We want to do good, we promise during every confession “not to sin again” — but soon we are kneeling again before a priest and have to confess the same sins we have committed so many times already.

Four hundred years before Paul, the Greek poet Euripides wrote, “We know the good, we apprehend it clearly, but we cannot bring it toachievement.”

The well-educated Paul surely knew what some decades ago the Roman poet Ovid had written, “I see the better things, and approve them, but I follow the worse.”

These quotations make us aware that Paul’s experience is a common human experience. We should, therefore, not be surprised and not get discouraged when we feel a clash between good and evil raging in our hearts, often the evil defeating the good. “Ah, two souls I feel there in my breast,” Faust exclaims in Goethe’s most famous drama. Yes, whoever reflects on one’s life comes to the same conclusion: My soul is a battlefield; good and evil fight for victory in me. How can a weak person survive this clash of titans?

In his Letter to the Philippians, St. Paul gives us an answer to this crucial question when he writes, “I can do all things in Him who strengthens me.” It is in our total submission to the power of God that we can help the good in us win over evil. The Lord gave us especially the sacraments to gain this strength. So don’t despair, cling to the Lord!  Fr. Rudy Horst, SVD

 
Reflection Question:

Am I aware of the battle between good and evil in my heart? What do I do about it?

 

Lord, thank You for the honesty of St. Paul who, after all, experienced the same weakness that bothers me. Help me to put all my trust in You and so receive the strength to help the good in me win over evil.

 
St. Viator, pray for us.
 


Didache
| Companion | Sabbath | Top

 

Join BO in his 10-day Holy Land Pilgrimage on February 7, 2012. Walk where Jesus walked and be very blessed. For more details, click here

Do You Want Your Friend To Receive This Email?
Friend's Email:

1.  KERYGMA TV now airs every Sunday at 8 a.m. on IBC 13.

2.  The FEAST is the one of the happiest places on earth.

Find one near you!

PICC

Sunday (3 sessions)

8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.

10:45 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.

3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

PICC, Roxas Blvd.

 

Pasig

Sunday (2 sessions)

10:00 a.m. - 12 noon

1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Valle Verde Country Club (beside The ULTRA)

 

Quezon City ( 2 sessions)

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 12 n.n.

Convention Hall, Bureau of Soils, Visayas Ave., Q.C.

Saturday 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

GT-Toyota Asian Center, Magsaysay St. cor. Katipunan Ave.

 

Alabang (4 sessions)

Sunday

11:00 a.m - 12:30 p.m. 

1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. 

4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.  

Wednesday  7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.  

2/L X-site Entrance, Festival Mall, Alabang 

Tel. No. 659-8299            

          

Laguna

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 12 n.n.

Cinema 1, SM Sta. Rosa, Laguna

 

Cavite

Sunday 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Cinema 5, Robinson's Mall, Imus, Cavite

 

Taytay

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

Valley Fair Arcade, Ortigas Ext. Taytay, Rizal

Valenzuela

Sunday 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Cinema 1, SM Valenzuela, Valenzuela

Contact no. 09175789554

 

Ortigas (2 sessions)

Monday 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

Cinema 3, Robinsons Galleria,

F. Ortigas Ave., Pasig City  

Sunday

Meralco           

 

Makati (2 sessions)

Thursday, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

AIM Conference Center, Benavidez cor Paseo de Roxas

Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 12 noon

Makati Cinema Square

 

Manila (2 sessions)

Friday, 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m

            7:00 p.m.. - 10:00 p.m.

Cinema 4, SM Manila (near City Hall), Manila        

 

  

Marilao (3 sessions)

Friday  5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Barcelona Academy, Marilao, Bulacan

Saturday, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.

                7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Cinema 2, SM Marilao, Bulacan 

 

Baliuag

Saturday 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.

Cinema 1, SM Baliuag, Bulacan

Contact no. 09175332756/2920044

 

Cardona

Saturday 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Queen Mary Help of Christians Hospital, National Road, Calahan, Cardona

 

Bonifacio Global City

Saturday 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Mercato Central, BGC

 

CEBU

Tuesday 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.

CAP Auditorium, Cebu City

Contact nos. 4128142/09212413801/09232908009

 

DAVAO 

Sunday 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

4/L Alexian Brothers Health and Wellness Center, Matina, Davao City

Contact nos. 0822865081/0922251822

 3. Need Counseling? 

Call a friend for counseling at  09228407031, 7266728, 7264709, and 7259999 Mon-Fri 24-hrs, Sat 6am-5pm, Sun 6am-10am.

 4. Free Kerygma Magazine (the one on paper) from Bo.

If you're a KerygmaFamily member who regularly supports this ministry with at least P300 or US$20 a month - you'll be receiving a one-year subscription of the KerygmaMagazine in the mail-automatically!

If you haven't signed up for KerygmaFamily, join now!

http://www.kerygmafamily.com

5. Its now easy to DONATE using the new GlobeTelecom GCASH at http://kerygmafamily.com.

6. DONATE using SMART MONEY - type KFAM_amount and send to 270

7. Put Preacher in Blue Jeans in your Blog or Friendster! Just copy the text in under next to the EMBED keyword under the video. Just like YOUTUBE!

8. Did you receive this email from someone else? To get Bo Sanchez to send it to you personally, log-on to http://kerygmafamily.com.
Lots of surprises await.

9. To change your KerygmaFamily member/email settings. Please click here

10. To enter the Audio & Video Teachings, Please click here

11. Forward these to your friends - so they too can read God's Word and be invited to join the KerygmaFamily. They'll Thank you for opening this mountain of blessings to them!

12. Contact Person: Tina   (+632) 9312711 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (+632) 9312711      end_of_the_skype_highlighting    or   + 639178424101 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              + 639178424101      end_of_the_skype_highlighting    or support@kerygmafamily.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No response to “Lordie, God's Message For You Today, October 21, 2011”

Post a Comment